Freemasons

Discuss the Plymouth Brethren, Christian Brethren, Brethren assemblies - their customs, doctrines and practises.
Moderator: Elizabeth Bunting

Freemasons

Postby Verity » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:44 pm

What is the Brethren's view of Freemasonry membership?

Would there be Brethren Church assembly members who are Freemasons?

Verity
... I follow Christ
Verity
Theologian

Re: Freemasons

Postby anne » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:31 pm

I wouldn't think so, no one i know would dream of it.
anne
Pick your own rank

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:19 pm

i seriously doubt it.

i Also seriously doubt whether A bAptist person would become a member of the free mAsons.

elizabeth :)
Remember the Gift!
Thanks be to God for his unspeakable Gift!
Elizabeth
Site Admin

Postby jtheb » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:37 am

My researches lead me to believe that it is not possible to be a sincere christian and a sincere freemason.
jtheb
Black Belt

Postby anne » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:48 pm

quite true jtheb :D
anne
Pick your own rank

Postby Verity » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:11 am

Yes, indeed, one cannot, surely, be a sincere Christian - and a sincere freemason!

Being "double-minded" springs to mind!

Verity :angel:
... I follow Christ
Verity
Theologian

Postby Verity » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:56 pm

Research tells me, as led, that there is indeed a link with regard to Freemasonry and Plymouth Brethren:

Thus far:

J.N. Darby

Billy Graham
... I follow Christ
Verity
Theologian

Postby anne » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:10 pm

I thought Billy Graham was Baptist..never heard about Darby at all, do you have a link to this verity?
anne
Pick your own rank

Postby Verity » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:14 pm

anne wrote:I thought Billy Graham was Baptist..never heard about Darby at all, do you have a link to this verity?

J.N. Darby was the founder, along with others of course, of the Plymouth Brethren movement (so called because the first meeting was held at Plymouth).

Plymouth Brethren assemblies, including "Gospel Hall" assembly's, I do personally know of having, for a number of years, worked with and alongside Billy Graham' Crusades
... I follow Christ
Verity
Theologian

Postby Verity » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:27 pm

Just been thinking of the time not so long ago, when I got to know and subsequently one day was engaged in conversation with a lovely couple of senior years who fellowshipped in a Baptist Church and were somewhat dismayed to discover that their pastor/minister was a Freemason and so, they then ventured toward an Anglican church only to find the vicar was a Freemason!

One has to seek the Lord and hear His voice with regard as to where to fellowship, this much I have learned as a "pilgrim" along His narrow way.

In His Grace & Truth,

Verity :angel:
... I follow Christ
Verity
Theologian

Postby jtheb » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:21 pm

The baptist fellowship with which I worship for some time had a freemason as a minister and some of the deacons also.
I am no longer with them.
jtheb
Black Belt

Postby anne » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:14 pm

Verity wrote:
anne wrote:I thought Billy Graham was Baptist..never heard about Darby at all, do you have a link to this verity?

J.N. Darby was the founder, along with others of course, of the Plymouth Brethren movement (so called because the first meeting was held at Plymouth).

Plymouth Brethren assemblies, including "Gospel Hall" assembly's, I do personally know of having, for a number of years, worked with and alongside Billy Graham' Crusades

Sorry verity, I didn't mean i didn't know of Darby I just didn't know he was a freemason and would have liked to see a link to saying he was as I would have liked to read about this myself, Billy Graham maybe not surprise me as much that he was.
I was at a Billy Graham crusade in glasgow in the 50's with my mum and dad i was only very young, God certainly used this man to bring many souls to him
anne
Pick your own rank

Postby jtheb » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:59 am

I have difficulty in believing that either Darby or Graham were masons.

Unless like Finney they had been and renounced it.
jtheb
Black Belt

Postby Verity » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:50 am

I am thinking along the same line as you, jtheb, that it is likely that Darby may have "stepped in" and then "stepped out" of freemasonry.

Darby does indeed refer to freemasonry in some of his writings. (among those I have read to date).

I had forgotten about Finney, thanks.

As for Billy Graham, he was, is, a freemason - along with other big names in the world of platform evangelism/televangelism and ministries et al.

His name featured on a masonic listing of famous freemasons - on a masonic lodge website.

I did actually see and read the masonic lodge listing of famous freemasons on the masonic lodge website, at the time a few years ago, with Billy Graham's name among the list, prior to Billy Graham having his name removed from the list after someone wrote about it (can't remember the name of the author).
... I follow Christ
Verity
Theologian

Postby anne » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:11 pm

Thanks for that information IHA
anne
Pick your own rank

Next

Return to Plymouth Brethren Chat